Karla Morton, a Calgary Housing Company tenant, was left to fend for herself in -29 degrees weather by the CHC after her heat went out on Friday afternoon.
The CHC sent a furnace repairman that day who informed Morton that he was unable to fix the problem till after the weekend do to a possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning and that she would have to make do till then.
“I could see my own breath…”
To help, CHC sent Morton 2 small space heaters to warm her 3-bedroom townhouse and told her to turn on and open her oven if that didn’t help. Morton was left shivering underneath a mountain of blankets and was unable to sleep over the weekend due to the cold.
“I could see my breath,” said Morton. “It’s freezing cold and I don’t really have anywhere else to go.”
According to Alberta Health and Safety codes for Affordable housing, the furnace must be able to maintain a minimum temperature of 16 degrees in the winter, and ovens and space heaters are not to be used as primary sources of heat.
Morton’s furnace was finally fixed on Monday night, but the damage had already been done.